The Buckfastleigh Town Stocks
These stocks were rescued from the porch of Holy Trinity Church on 21st July 1992 on the day the Church burnt to the ground. They were later donated to the Valiant Soldier by the rescuers, Mrs Rhoda Lock and Mr John Gill. An Act of 1405 stated that stocks should be provided in each town or village. An entry from the Buckfastleigh Manor Court Book in 1784 states: ‘We present that a pair of stocks ought to be kept in proper order in this manor’. It is likely that these stocks were used for a period of 40+ years in Buckfastleigh.